Call Us for Civil, Structural, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering!


Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions about your land surveying and engineering? We have answers! At BHA Hutchison & Associates, it’s our goal to provide you with exceptional civil engineering & property platting services whether we’re on the job or not—that’s why we’ve answered some of our most frequently asked questions.

Platting A Property FAQs

What is a plat?
Platting a property is key to the development process. A plat is a map showing the subdivision of tracts of land with the legal boundaries, location of properties, easements or right of way, streets, public-access areas, flood zones, utility setbacks, ownership and other relevant information. Other than for development purposes, owners may wish to plat their property simply to divide and sell tracts of their land, or wish to plat to combine existing tracts into one tract of land.
What is a Minor Plat?

 A minor plat is used to simplify divisions of land under certain circumstances by authorizing administrative approval of a plat and is applicable when:

  1. the division results in four or fewer lots
  2. all lots front onto an existing public street, and does not require the creation of a new street or extension of any existing street
  3. the plat does not require the extension of any municipal facilities to serve any lot within the subdivision except for the installation of service lines to the individual lots from existing mains of adequate capacity
What is an Amending Plat?

Amending plat means to amend a previously approved and recorded plat and is not to be considered as a replat or re-subdivision, but is intended to correct errors or miscalculations. An amending plat is used to correct scrivener, omission or clerical errors and does not remove recorded covenants or restrictions nor increase the number of lots.

What is a replat?

Replats are necessary when a property is already platted, but the owner wishes to change or redraw the lot lines, remove easements,  or remove building lines.

What types of plats are there?
There are many types of plats. Each State, City and/or County governs and regulates its own platting laws and regulations. The typical plats are:

  1. Final Plats – Once a preliminary plat has been approved, the final plat is recorded and must be consistent with the preliminary plat.
  2. Replats – A replat replaces an existing plat and may be a replat of all or only a section of a previously recorded plat.
  3. Preliminary Plats – As part of the platting process, the preliminary plat is initial plat prepared by a land surveyor for a landowner and submitted for preliminary approval. A preliminary plat serves as the guideline for the preparation of the final plat.
Why is a plat important?
Every land owner should know the size and shape of their property. Platting ensures that the map of the land is accurate and correctly records improvements, easements and right of ways.
Where can I find a copy of a recorded plat?

Recorded plats are public information and can be ordered from your local County Clerk’s office. 


Don’t see the answer to your question above? Hutchison & Associates in Baytown, TX , is here to help! Call 281-422-8213 or Contact Us.

Texas Engineering Firm TBPE #F-267
Texas Surveying Firm TBPLS #100293-00
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm